What is a Postpartum Doula?
A postpartum doula is a trained professional who provides support to the new parents. This can include helping with the emotional and physical recovery of the mother after birth, assisting with newborn care such as feeding, bathing and changing the baby’s diaper. Some postpartum doulas will even run errands and prepare small meals for the family which can prove invaluable during the first few months after the baby is born. Many doulas are also certified lactation consultants.
The benefits of having a postpartum doula include:
- easier transition into motherhood and childcare
- better bonding and breastfeeding experience
- faster and more comfortable postpartum recovery
- lower incidents of postpartum depression or faster recovery from it
- additional household help with cooking, cleaning and running errands
Read more on birth doulas and their benefits here.