What is the Bradley Method?
The Bradley Method is popular among couples that take a proactive approach to natural labor. Robert Bradley, an American obstetrician, created the method in the 1940s. At the center of it, is the birthing process as a natural and enjoyable experience without unnecessary interventions and drugs.
It is a unique, 12-week program, taught by a certified Bradley Method instructor. The Bradley Method attributes its success to small classes (up to 8 couples), individual attention and lots of practice time. The Bradley Mothed approach to natural childbirth is based on the labor physiology. According the Bradley Method website, the method boasts an almost 90 percent success rate of “spontaneous, unmedicated vaginal births”.
How can couples benefit from the Bradley Method?
The Bradley Method distinctive feature is the presence of a birth coach. Coaches (husbands, partners) provide essential physical, emotional and informational support to the mother in labor. The Bradley Method comprehensive instruction covers:
- relaxation techniques
- stages of labor and best ways to handle them
- birth rehearsals
- labor positions
- natural ways to reduce pain
- other ways to help the mother stay healthy and low risk
It even covers accidental, unassisted births. Coaches also advocate for the mothers in labor, so that they can focus on the birthing process.
How is the Bradley Method different from others?
The Bradley Method distinguishes itself from other birthing classes by providing information about everything a couple needs for a natural unmedicated birth. Their extensive 130-page workbook contains information on:
- prenatal exercises
- possible complications
- avoiding unnecessary Cesarian, episiotomy and tears
- postpartum care
- breast feeding
- contains sample birth plans and a certificate of congratulations
The Bradley Method certified instructors have been trained buy the American Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth and undergo continuous training.
How can I find a class near me?
- You can find upcoming Bradley Method Classes using Lara’s Calendar (Our Upcoming Training Classes and Workshops Calendar)
- Call the American Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth — the organization that Bradley founded to disseminate information about his method — at (800) 422-4784 or visit the group’s website to get a list of instructors certified in the Bradley Method who practice in your area.